Please read the rules before registering. The link to registration is at the bottom of the page.
* Payment must be received prior to the early registration deadline in order to be eligible for early registration discount. Regular registration subject to change before Thursday, September 25, 2014. Fees include free admission to all sessions.
Early registration ends: Monday, September 29, 2014 at 11:59 pm
Registration closes: Saturday, October 25, 2014 at 11:59 pm
Fees can be paid online via PayPal or you can send a check made to 'Ballroom at Maryland.'
All checks must be postmarked by Saturday, October 25, 2014.
Send payments with a list of all the competitors that the check is paying for to:
University of Maryland at College Park
Stamp Student Union
Ballroom at Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
- Prepayment is required, either online or check via mail postmarked by close of registration (10/25).
- If paying at the door, an additional $5 surcharge per competitor will apply for DCDI 2014. This includes college teams.
|Cancellation Date||Refunded This Year||Credited Forward|
|Sat, Sept 27: Early Registration Deadline||100% of registration|
|Sat, Oct 25: Registration Closes||50% of registration||50% of registration credit towards DCDI 2014 registration|
|Oct 31: DCDI||0% of registration||50% of registration credit towards DCDI 2014 registration|
- Newcomer -- Started dancing no earlier than June 2014. While there is no syllabus restriction for this level, we recommend that you attempt only steps in the Bronze syllabus.
- Bronze -- Started dancing no earlier than September 2012. Only Bronze syllabus steps may be danced.
- Silver -- Only Bronze and Silver syllabus steps may be danced.
- Gold -- Only Bronze, Silver, and Gold syllabus steps may be danced. No open work.
- Pre-Championship/Championship -- Open work permitted and encouraged
- Open (to all) and Fun events -- No syllabus restriction
In addition, level eligibility during this competition is in accordance to the USA Dance Proficiency points system.
DC DanceSport Inferno is not a Recognized USA Dance Competition and proficiency points will not be awarded.
You may only compete in one level for a particular dance/style.
This means that you cannot do both Bronze and Silver American Style Foxtrot, but you can do Bronze American Style Foxtrot and Silver International Style Foxtrot.
There is one exception: If you are dancing in Gold or Championship, you may also dance in Pre-Championship. There are also a few "Open" (fun) events that are open to all and not subject to this restriction.
USA Dance Membership
DCDI is not a sanctioned USA Dance competition. USA Dance membership is not required and USA Dance points will not be awarded.
The competition will be strictly invigilated!
We will be using the ISTD syllabus for international style and the Collegiate syllabus for American style. All participants must use these syllabi and rules. You can obtain copies of them using the following links:
- ISTD International Standard Syllabus
- ISTD International Latin Syllabus
- American Smooth Syllabus
- American Rhythm Syllabus
(These rules do not apply to fun events)
- Same-sex partners are allowed in bronze and newcomer levels ONLY.
- You must register the same way any other couple would register.
- The same level restrictions apply — i.e. if you are a bronze follow, you may not dance in newcomer, either as a lead or as follow. A newcomer may dance up to bronze if her leader is bronze, but not the other way around.
- Each PERSON still can only dance one level per style (regardless of the role: lead/follow). So for example Jane cannot lead Stacy in newcomer standard and then follow John in bronze standard.
- We will try to match any bronze leaders who do not get called back with follows who need partners… but these regulations are designed to allow more people to start competing and practicing with a set partner ahead of time.
- This does not mean bronze leaders may also register to dance with newcomer follows – you may only dance in newcomer in that style pending lack of callbacks the day of the competition.
|Level||Costume Allowed||Costume Recommended|
Women may wear pants, but are not encouraged to do so.
The competition is open to competitors of all ages, but the following age categories are offered: Junior I, II and Adult. Seniors and Students will dance in the Adult age category. Junior I and II competitors should e-mail the registrar to request paper registration. Youth, student, senior and adult competitors will all compete in same events.
The organizers of this event have the right to cancel or combine events as deemed necessary.
The organizers of this event, University of Maryland College Park, and the Campus Recreation Services are not responsible or liable for any lost or stolen items or injury.
Ballroom at Maryland (BAM) Disclaimer
No responsibility for loss or theft of articles left in changing rooms, ballrooms, hotel rooms, or other event facilities can be accepted by BAM. Nor can BAM be held liable for injury sustained by persons attending the event; it being hereby stated that persons attending the event do so at their own risk.